Monday, October 8, 2012

Bof-cut (Yeah, that way!)



Boy-cut or bob-cut or bof-cut (as pronounced by the Tamil Folks) is the coiffure that I’ve been sporting since I was 11 years old. Against the comfort that I enjoy in maintaining short hair, I’ve been made to manage quite a few predicaments. This blog accounts stories on the funny and weird incidents which occurred because of my haircut.

All-girls School and my challenges

Most of the girls who were put in single-sex education fantasized someone in the class as a boy. Unfortunately, I became one such boy for umpteen number of girls in my school. Along with my haircut, 2 other factors that increased my masculine attributes were my height and weight (Well, I confessed about my weight ). It was quite an ordeal to digest the coy smiles, fake pleasantries and pretentious care. At any point in time, I would not resent the girls for their strange behavior, but would blame the hormones. It wouldn’t hurt much to own up that I enjoyed the pleasure of being a cynosure.


Restroom Happenings


I didn’t go to college as I responded to the call of the Corporate World. In a way, I was glad that the Radhe-Krishna stories ended and I believed that the BPO would find no difference in me. But you will understand that my belief was shattered. Many a time, as I entered the office restrooms, the ladies in the loo screamed till their throats burst out and started laughing realizing that it was just me who entered and not a man. In my hastiness to attend to the nature’s call, I didn’t fuss about such things. However a security-guard annoyed me a bit when she asked, “Sir, why have you come here?” when I rushed into the toilet. In a split-second, having realized that it was me, she was sorry.


I’m still okay if the ladies just have spasms when they mistake me for a man. But I strongly loathe the ladies who stopped me from using girls’ toilet. A middle-aged woman quickened her foot-steps when she heeded that I was about go into the restroom in Mayajaal. I could hear a loud call from the back saying, “Sir, the gents’ restroom is in the right-hand side.” You know that such calls were not new to me. I turned around with an impassive face and said, “Sorry, what did you say?” She couldn’t purse her lips owing to vehement laughter and I still wonder if she laughed at her mistake or my appearance. Oh, I was not glad about making that lady laugh, certainly not at my expense


Society’s Menace

It was around mid-night when my husband and I were on our ride back home from a cinema. We noticed a group of policemen carrying out their night-checks. We were under an impression that the South Indian Police would not stop the vehicles that had women in them. But unusually, one of the cops walked forward to stop us. My husband obliged but couldn’t believe the fact that we were stopped and so both of us didn't get down from the bike. The officer came close, tapped my thigh twice and said to me, “Thambi, erangu pa” My eyes widened and jaws dropped. I wanted to confirm if I heard him right. I told a feeble ‘what-sir’. The policeman was taken aback hearing my voice and said “Oh, Ladies-ah! Romba sorry pa!” The bike picked up speed and we couldn’t stop laughing. It was winter and so I was clad in a denim-jacket, t-shirt and jeans. (Now I caught your question. Winter in Chennai? Yes, to me! ) Perhaps, the policeman mistook me for a boy because of my attire. But most importantly, the first deceiver would have been my hair-cut


I like travelling in the city-bus. But during the annoying occasions, when men leaned on me conveniently and pushed aside with all their masculine force in the rush to get down from the bus, I detested being there. The only reason that my co-men-passengers could give me was that they thought I was a man. Well, now I pray for all the men who endure such savage pushes in the bus. Poor souls!


Hairdo and Culture

I have a difficulty in understanding the relation between marriage and hairstyle. Looking at my wedding album, the curious viewers wanted to know why I sported bob-cut on the most important day of my life. I have always wondered why a girl should have long hair to get married and I still haven’t ascertained the reason. If you know, please drop your inputs in the comment box. Luckily, I’m married now. But now the question is asked from a different perspective. My acquaintances and friends are eager to know if I would grow my hair before having a baby. How do I answer this question? Hair-style should not be a criterion to become a wife or a mother and such positions demand a lot of other better things. I’ve stopped answering those futile questions.

My say

It’s indeed a challenge to put up with the ladies’ convulsions, society’s threats and the million-dollar questions posed by my friends. My answer is, I prefer comfort to style and that’s me for you!

4 comments:

  1. our society is so very culturaly inclined tht ppl are always alarmed when someone starts adopting something tht ultimately makes life easier, yet is so called a practice tht's 'out of cultural boundaries'.. they intend to live with these mundane beliefs and more importantly the social pressure eventhough they realise tht its a torture.. ladies 'bof cut' is a simple example... :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another lovely one :) Mayajaal incident LOL !!! I liked the title BOF CUT..super de...

    ReplyDelete